Friday, January 25, 2013

TGIF...and for sushi

Friday is here! Woot! Yay! Huzzah! (if you're in a missing Ren Fest kind of mood) Hmm, suddenly I'm remembering that thing we did in elementary school where you circle one fist in the air next to your head and go "Hoo!Hoo!Hoo!" Wow. Weird times. I'm kinda glad that died out, to be honest...right along with yelling "Gnarly!" as an exclamation. Well, whatever your method of expressing celebration, the weekend is upon us and I'm thrilled. I'm actually in an extraordinary mood today. I went to hang out with my sister last night and we had a blast. I probably really, really needed the outing. My tensions seemed to have run high here lately. Big shock, I know...what could possibly be stressing me out? Can't be my five crazy monkeys bouncing off the walls and getting into god-knows-what day in and day out, right? Heh. Anyhoo, we went walking around an area of town that I've honestly never been to before. It. Was. Awesome. Old neighborhoods, new neighborhoods, old stores just oozing with charm and character and new stores with their clean lines and bright displays. We noshed on chicken yakitori and some amazing sushi. We saw pubs bustling with happy people starting their weekend early. Sounds of live bands at several of the restaurants filled the air as we passed by. To top it all off, we visited a candy store that I have seen featured on Food Network. My inner child just came out and danced. This happened for many reasons. I am a food geek and love the Food Network. The inside was a plethora of colors and smelled like the inside of your Halloween bag after a full night of trick or treating. There was just about every candy produced, including some that I hadn't seen since I was a little kid. Did I mention that they dip just about anything you can think of in chocolate? I've been in specialty chocolate stores before, but this really blew my mind. There wasn't just chocolate covered fresh strawberries, there were blackberries as well. In the mood for salty and sweet? How about chocolate covered Fritos or Pringles? There were cakes and pies and brownies and cookies... HOW have I never been to this place before? They even had people dancing to old school tunes in a part of the store like they were on Broadway or something, which just added to the eclectic feel of the evening.  Even little Luke, who was our tagalong for the evening, was entranced by the place. He just kept charming random people causing them to smile and jabber in baby-talk.

This is the face of inescapable cuteness...
We had so much fun! And we never stopped talking either (outside of the point where I was rendered speechless after walking into the candy store). It was a night of good food, good sights, and excellent company. The evening also made me realize though just how big Houston really is. I felt like I was well traveled and knowledgeable about the city, but apparently I'm not. If something this neat has escaped my notice for this long, what else is there to discover? It's an exciting thought, actually...

Well, better wrap this up for now. I was just poked in the shoulder by a handsome blonde midget who quoted a line of cartoon dialogue to me and then giggled hysterically to himself as he ran away....

No comments:

Post a Comment