Friday, November 4, 2011

My First Recipe Post

So yesterday went really well by way of trying to be healthy. I signed up with the website babyfit.com first of all. I wanted to see what nutritional recommendations they had for me. They gave me a minimum of 2200 calories! That really threw me for a loop... I feel like I ate a lot yesterday and my calorie count came in around 1800. I guess once I get established with an OB (my endo is taking care of me and the Sproutlet for now) I'll ask about this. 2200? REALLY? Maybe I should drink more milk. Well, if I liked milk.


Okay down to the recipe! I tried out a new recipe for Taco Meat last night and it was the bomb. Here's what I did:


Lean Chili-Taco Beef (makes 4 servings)


    2 Tbsp chili powder, or Mexican seasoning  
    1/2 tsp ground cumin (I made this heaping...I love Cumin) 
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder 
    1 tsp olive oil  
    1 small onion(s), chopped  
    8 oz uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)  
    8 oz canned tomato sauce  
    8 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained 

Heat the olive oil over Medium heat. Add the meat and onion, cook until the meat is browned. 
Add Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin stirring well and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add the 
kidney beans, tomato sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring 
occasionally. 

And you're done! I was worried about the tomato sauce. I honestly thought it would be too runny, but since the beef is so lean, it added an extra depth of moisture and flavor. Not at all watery either. 

I even made my own healthy tostada shells! I took a sheet pan sprayed with a bit of non-stick spray, laid out the tortillas, hit the tops with an extra shot of spray, and baked them in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. I popped them out, flipped them, hit them with a touch more spray, and returned to the oven for 3 minutes. Take them out, allow to cool for a few seconds and you have some really yummy shells made without deep frying or tons of oil. :D 

For myself, I topped the shells with light sour cream, the meat mixture, some 2% shredded Mexican blend cheese, chopped tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. Delicious. And very filling. Made my pregnant self very happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment