Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Long time, no see...

Hmmm it's been since mid-November since I've blogged...geez if I could just figure out why I haven't been able to keep up with a blog or have been too interested in healthy eating...let me see....

Ohhhh right! The holidays! Thanksgiving and Christmas, the annual double-whammy to dieters and people struggling to live a healthy lifestyle....of course. *sigh* You know you'd think that two days a month apart would constitute two "splurge days" that you could navigate around, right? WRONG. I think it takes a super human to navigate around the amazing and wonderfully delicious yet horrible-for-you food that floods supermarkets around that time of the year. Seriously, they even dipped pretzels in peppermint bark for crying out loud! *sigh* It was wonderful. But...not for my healthy eating endeavors. To top it off, we were sick constantly. Right after Thanksgiving, we passed around a killer cold. As soon as that was done, the kiddos got an evil stomach virus. Nothing like the smell of barf and poo to warm a preggie woman's heart. *feeeeeeel the sarcasm* Small break for Jason's office Christmas party (more amazing food...oh my gosh pub grub is so fun!). Then the wicked mutated brother of the stomach virus knocked on our door. It hit Erik so hard I rushed him to the ER. Bren fell soon after. It even hit poor Jason. I must have a pregnant guardian angel bubble around me, though...I missed out on every stomach virus that came our way. Anyhoo that one surrounded Christmas and we got well just in time for New Years. This of course means more awesome food. We don't do that whole cabbage and peas thing...we do trays and plates full of dips and finger foods. Fun, delicious, and totally anti-healthy.

And now the aftermath...

I gained a little bit *nose grows a little on that one* more weight than I probably should have in my first trimester. But, believe it or not, I'm tired of constantly rich foods. My body must be craving nutrients because I find myself eating raw veggies, hummus, and light yogurt with fresh berries a LOT here lately. I found a bowl of fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries at Kroger around New Years and it made me sooo happy. :) So I've been back on the wagon. Dinners are healthy recipes again, and lunches do NOT involve chips. I put a bunch of craving-blockers in the house. When I start to jones for buffalo wings, I have a box of frozen vegetarian "chicken" nuggets and a bottle of spicy wing sauce. Mexican food cravings will get knocked out by Lean Cuisine's Chicken Enchiladas Suizas (which is amazingly delicious) or some baked tortilla chips and salsa. For pizza, there's some lean french bread pizzas in the freezer, or the option of making my own on whole wheat thin crusts from HEB. Ice cream is taken care of with those Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow bars. There are crazy delicious alternatives out there...alternatives that don't leave me feeling tired, bloated, and sluggish. Sugarplum deserves better than that anyhoo.

Ah yes, Sugarplum! I need to update on him\her also! We are already in our second trimester and 15 weeks along. I've had my 12 week ultrasound and a few OB appointments since my last blog post and that is one healthy little person in there. Measurements look great, blood work has been coming back negative for any kind of birth defects, and the heartbeat is nice and high (160's). I'm hoping beyond hope that it's a girl this time. Seriously. It's never felt this dire or this well... "right". The name "Sugarplum" came from a babycenter.com update that described that baby's size as about the size of a plum. This was during the holidays, therefore "sugarplum" seemed appropriate. Baby is now the size of a "large apple" but Sugarplum kinda stuck. Let's hope that when he\she is born, the sweetness of the nickname will stick also. hehe..

Anyhoo I'd better jet for now. I just finished my yogurt and berries and the little guys are clamoring for coloring pages. I'll touch on exercise the next time I post and hopefully share a recipe or two. I have a killer Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya recipe that I made last night that is just...awesome. Healthy, full of flavor, and compatible with just about any eating plan you may be on. Peace, love, rock n roll, and adios for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment